Date / time
- Scope of “abuse”
- Categories of insured exposed to liability
- Types of responsive policy
- Ambit of “insured”
- Trigger of cover: occurrence, injury, accidental injury, claims made/circumstances notified
- Proof of cover
- Relationship of abuse to the activities or business of the insured
- Retention and limit of indemnity: per occurrence/claim, aggregation – e.g. series of occurrences/claims arising from one source or originating cause
- Exclusions: professional services, deliberate misconduct
- Strategy: “Wait and see”?
Colin Edelman QC studied law at Clare College, Cambridge and was called to the Bar in 1977. He became a QC in 1995. He specialises in high value complex commercial disputes with an emphasis on insurance, reinsurance, professional indemnity and energy. He has been involved in a number of high profile matters affecting the London and international insurance markets.
Colin has written and lectured extensively on issues affecting the insurance and reinsurance market. He is editor of “The Law of Reinsurance” (OUP) and is a contributor to “Insurance Disputes” (LLP).
In 2008 he was authorised to sit as Deputy High Court Judge (Queen’s Bench Division) and in 2012 he was authorised to sit as Deputy High Court Judge in the Commercial Court. In addition, he is frequently appointed as an arbitrator in insurance, reinsurance and other commercial disputes.
Colin became Chairman of the Board of Directors of Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund Ltd on 1 April 2013 (he has been a Director of Bar Mutual since 2007 and a Deputy Chairman since 2009).
Registration commences at 12.30, the lecture concludes at 14.00