Date / time
3:00 pm - 7:00 pm
The Old Library, Lloyds
Brexit Day is currently scheduled for 31 October 2019, although it remains open to question whether, when and on what terms Brexit will take place. BILA has assembled a group of expert speakers to discuss the future of the London Market after Brexit. They will look at:
- The London Market’s actions to date and whether they suffice:
- New EU carriers/Part VII transfers/UK branches/broker restructuring.
- Have policyholders been prejudiced?
- How has Brexit affected international open market placements into the UK?
- Issues arising from Part VII transfers. What are the alternatives?
- How is London Market business to be serviced?
- Where will disputes be heard? Will UK law and courts lose out?
- Will it matter if the UK exits without a deal?
- After Brexit: new ways of conducting business; technology; and new legal and regulatory structures.
- The index linked securities market – does the UK’s legal infrastructure respond and can it be improved? Will English law be used in contracts? Where/how (court or arbitration) will disputes be heard? Does Brexit affect the developing ILS market?
- Products sold via the internet – how does law and jurisdiction work with cross border sales? How can English law and dispute resolution processes stay in the lead?
- Large international open market placements – what long term effects will Brexit have? How should London remain a hub?
- Regulation of London carriers and brokers – can this be improved or streamlined post Brexit? Which EU regulations/directives can be improved to make London more attractive? How can the regulators assist London to remain a hub?
David Kendall – Partner,
Cooley John Abramson – General Counsel,
Travelers James Smethurst – Partner,
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer Clarissa Franks – Managing Director,
Marsh Nigel Brook – Partner,
Clyde & Co Professor James Davey – Professor of Contract and Commercial Law, University of Southampton
Malcolm Newman – Managing Director, SCOR SE EMEA Hub
Noona Barlow – UK Head of Claims,
AIG Rob Lumley – Director and Co-Founder, Insurtech Gateway
Venue: Lloyd’s Old Library
Conference start: 15:30
Drinks: 17:45 – 19:00
This event is fully booked.